Stained Glass Left
Title
Address: 709 Church Street Contact: (910) 762-7876
Website: stlukeamezion.netfirms.com
img5
img1
St. Luke A.M.E.Z. was organized during the Civil War by a missionary named James Walker. Thirteen African American men and women, who desired to connect themselves with a church of their own, followed Rev. Walker and on Easter morning, April 8, 1865, formed the Christian Chapel A.M.E.Z. Church of Wilmington. Following the first of what would be two fires that would completely destroy the building, the church would rename itself St. Luke A.M.E.Z. The present building was dedicated on October 21, 1945. In 1895, an African Methodist Conference proposed to raise $100,000 for missionary and educational purposes. The Ladies Benevolent Society initiated a movement to purchase a home for destitute black women. Many religious and political leaders such as Bishop Alexander Walters and the Rev. E. L. Madison spoke from the pulpit.
img3
img2