Stained Glass Left
Title
Address: 520 N 5th Street
Contact:
(910) 763-2647
img5
img4
img1
First Baptist is the first African Baptist Church to be built in Wilmington in 1864 although its first congregation in 1843 of seventeen African Americans was originally accepted into the membership of its forerunner, Front Street Baptist Church. In 1870, Rev. Johnson began a night school where he taught reading and writing to adults who worked during the day. In 1939, the church hosted a national chaplain who spoke about advancing the black race in the South and the dangers of Communist propaganda. The entire original building was consumed by fire in 1974, with the significant exception of the pulpit on which lay the Bible.
img3
img2