Stained Glass Left
Title
Address: 1111 N 5th Street
Contact:
(910) 763-2660
img5
img1
Mount Zion was organized in the 1870’s by the then pastor of St. Stephen A.M.E. The building was destroyed twice by fire and rebuilt through the determination, commitment and sacrifice of the congregation. In 1888, Rev. Aldridge spoke out against a presiding Judge, Daniel L. Russell. He took issue with Judge Russell characterizing African Americans as “savage Negroes.” From that point forward Rev. Aldridge became outspoken against those who viewed his race in such a demeaning manner.
img3
img2