North end of N 16th and Rankin
Official Black Burial Grounds
The City of Wilmington allocated 15 acres of land for an African American burial ground in 1860. Nine years later George W. Prince, a black legislator, requested that the black cemetery be officially incorporated to the North Carolina House. Once the bill passed, the Pine Forest Cemetery trustees petitioned the city for ownership. The Board of Aldermen granted ownership on September 26, 1870.
After Pine Forest officially opened in 1871, many African American families moved their loved ones to these grounds. Notable black individuals are buried in Pine Forest Cemetery, including Frederick Sadgwar, James Dudley, and Robert R. Taylor.