pageleftbanner
titleimg
511 South 11th Street
New Facilities with New Abilities
Community Hospital primarily served the African American population of Wilmington and in the spring of 1938, they were forced to reject people in desperate need of medical attention due to overcrowding and plans began for a new hospital. Later that summer, the Works Progress Administration provided forty-five percent of the cost to build a new hospital and the city and county boards provided the remainder of the cost. Construction began on September 21, 1938 for the New Community Hospital and completed in the summer of 1939. The New Community Hospital had fifty beds, an on site African American nursing school as well as accommodations for x-rays, laboratory tests and child delivery.

img1                 img2